Heraklion Port :Terminal Facilities:
Heraklion ferry port has extensive facilities that cater for all needs of its visitors. Inside the port area but also within walking distance of the port you will find many shops and restaurants, as well as travel agents and tour operators. There are numerous hotels ranging from luxury class to small rent-a-room and youth hostels.Those with disabilities will find good wheelchair access onboard all ferries operating to the islands, and to international destinations. However passengers are advised to inform their ferry company of any special needs when making their reservations. Parking is available at the port for both the short and long-term, with designated areas available for those with disabilities. Minoan Lines ferries services the Heraklion to Piraeus ferry route and Patras - Corfu - Igoumenitsa - Ancona - Trieste. AnekSuperfast ferries services the Heraklion to Piraeus ferry route and Patras - Corfu - Igoumenitsa - Ancona - Bari - Venice. The Heraklion-Piraeus route is operated twice daily during summer season, departing Heraklion at 21:00 and arriving in Piraeus at 6:30 the next morning. There is also a midday sail during the summer season departing Heraklion at 11:00. The journey time is 7 hours.
Aegeon Pelagos ferries services the Heraklion - Sitia - Kassos - Karpathos - Diafani - Chalki - Rhodes route.
Sea Jets and Hellenic Seaways highspeed ferries services the Heraklion - Santorini - Ios - Paros -Naxos - Mykonos route.
Also from Heraklion and Rethymnon ports starts the One or Two days tour to Santorini island
Crete to Piraeus ferries timetable with Minoan Lines:
- HERAKLION to PIRAEUS 21:00 06:30
- PIRAEUS to HERAKLIO 22:00 06:30
Minoan Lines ferries operates daily ferry crossings too from Heraklion to Piraeus
Crete to Piraeus ferries timetable with AnekSuperfast:
- HERAKLIO to PIRAEUS 21:00 06:00
- PIRAEUS to HERAKLIO 21:00 06:00
Getting to Heraklion Ferry port by Car
Its very easy to reach Heraklion ferry port by car, Heraklion is in the center of the north coast of Crete Island, if driving from Agios Nikolaos, take the national road and drive towards west, which is the shortest way to reach Heraklion and follow signs to the ferry port. From within the town of Heraklion drive towrds north or along the sea side and follow signs. Driving from Rethymnon or Chania to Heraklion, take the national road, drive towards west and follow the signs.
Getting to Heraklion Ferry port by Taxi
Taxis are cheap in Greece and can be easily found in every place. Several radio taxi companies are available in Heraklion or eslewhere in Crete Island and can easily pre book your transport to Heraklion ferry port.
All Ferry Routes from Crete Island to mainland Greece and the Greek Islands
- Heraklion to Piraeus, operated by AnekSuperfast
- Heraklion to Piraeus, operated by Minoan Lines
- Heraklion to Santorini, operated by Aegeon Pelagos , Sea Jets and Hellenic Seaways
- Heraklion to Anafi, operated by Aegeon Pelagos
- Heraklion to Milos, operated by Aegeon Pelagos
- Heraklion to Ios, operated by Sea Jets and Hellenic Seaways
- Heraklion to Naxos, operated by Sea Jets
- Heraklion to Paros, operated by Hellenic Seaways
- Heraklion to Mykonos, operated by Sea Jets and Hellenic Seaways
- Heraklion to Sitia, operated by Aegeon Pelagos
- Heraklion to Kasos, operated by Aegeon Pelagos
- Heraklion to Karpathos, operated by Aegeon Pelagos
- Heraklion to Diafani, operated by Aegeon Pelagos
- Heraklion to Chalki, operated by Aegeon Pelagos
- Heraklion to Rhodes, operated by Aegeon Pelagos
- Chania to Piraeus, operated by AnekSuperfast
- Kissamos to Antikythira, operated by LANE Lines
- Kissamos to Gythion, operated by LANE Lines
- Kissamos to Kalamata, operated by LANE Lines
- Kissamos to Kythira, operated by LANE Lines
- Kissamos to Piraeus, operated by LANE Lines
The development of the port of Heraklion followed the general developent of the ports with some differences that were imposed by political and military correlations and influences, and was the result of the interest shown because of the privileged place of Crete on the eastern side of the Mediterranean basin and the special place of Heraklion on the island. In the Minoan times there was much activity on what is today the east side basin of the port where the mouth of the Selamianos river is located,
with indications,on the land,of a commercial center for transactions,one of its like existing at the mouth of Karteros river,that went even deeper into the mainland extending up to the Knossos area. Later on,in the Greek and Roman times,the interest was moved to other places and,especially,to Hersonissos until and during the Byzantine years,when during the reign of Nikiforos Fokas,there is a port functioning
at Dermatas bay between Xenia Hotel and the Heraklion Fruitmarket. The Venetians moved the
Heraklion port where it is today,where,taking advantage of a line of underwater rocks,constructed the (today called) Venetian port,which at the time of its construction,was a really big port, well-built and protected,with docking facilities, service,resupply and repair possibilities;due to all these the port became an important Mediterranean center. During the Turkish occupation, there was no extension of the port . Only the damages suffered during the long siege of the city were repaired. With the liberation and the declaration of the Cretan State, the study for the construction of a new port which could
cope with the increased demands that had in the meantime appeared,was given to French engineers (QUELLENEC). This initiative was supported by the public and the early expenses were covered by contributions donated by the people of Heraklion.